Wednesday, March 23, 2016

WRITERLY WEDNESDAY PICTURE PROMPT - ADRIFT

Today is Writerly Wednesday. Here's my flash fiction picture prompt story. This was a hard one to write because 150 word maximum is not much to express the whole story this picture pulled from me. But I did my best. Hope you enjoy it.

Flash fiction prompt provided by http://www.writerlycorner.com/writerly-prompts/writerly-wednesday-3232016.



Adrift

            People thought we were the perfect family—Mom, Dad, Chase and me. But as childhoods go, ours wasn’t Disneyland.
            It became apparent my brother had problems. Testing proved he was borderline autistic. Mother felt ashamed. Father loathed him. Chase was sent to a facility in the city. One day in his teens, he walked away and disappeared.
            I moved to the city after graduation. For two years, I searched the streets for Chase. One morning I passed a young man sitting on the sidewalk. I couldn’t see his face but something drew me closer.
            “Chase?”
            He looked up; goose bumps ran down my spine. I kneeled down and stared into his eyes. “It’s me, your sister.”
            Chase smiled. “Chelsea, Chelsea.”
            With teary eyes I held out my hand. “Would you like to come with me?”  He nodded yes and I vowed he would never sleep on the street again.




             
           
            

No comments: