Wednesday, May 4, 2016

WRITERLY WEDNESDAY FLASH FICTION PICTURE PROMPT - A MOTHER'S LOVE

This week I'm going out on a limb with a controversial subject that may not be to the liking of some. It's a challenge to address something like this in 150 words. However, it is more about the unconditional love and support of a mother and the angst a mother can experience even with an adult child. Hope you like it.


A Mother's Love

I stared at the photo. She loved that park. I remember buying pretty dresses in the early years. She refused to wear them. Definitely a tomboy. I came to accept she wasn’t a girlie girl. But who knew?

The teen years aroused my suspicions. Was she a lesbian? She was popular with both boys and girls but never dated, studied hard, won a scholarship to university. I was proud. But this?

She told me a week ago and I’ve been crying for days. Initially, for me. But this is about her ... him. Transgendered. Hormones. Surgery.

I carried my child for nine months, nurtured her, raised her ... him as a single mom. Now the tears are for him and what he’ll face.

I heard the door open. I stood. “Mom?” He entered the room and into my outstretched arms.

“You’re still mine,” I said.

Together, we cried.  

***

Flash fiction prompt provided by:


Visit me at my facebook author page HERE.



No comments: